You will thank me later!
Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
Guys, I can’t even tell you how true that statement proves to be true over and over again as I get older. Some repeat similar statements:
“Show me your friends, I’ll show you your future,” or “We are the average of the five people we spend the most time with.”
No matter how you slice it, it is vitally important that you……Go out and get the people in your life that can and will speak truth to you! If you want to be successful you have to do this. And this may take a while and that’s okay. At least you’re making progress.
Here’s a couple things to keep in mind when choosing your mentors:
- They are successful people that you respect and you can see are respected by others
- They are OLDER than you. Choosing people your own age is like the blind leading the blind. We all need people who have gone through the stages in life we haven’t yet been through.
- They will be honest with you! They will challenge you! They will tell you when you’re full of B.S.
- They will inspire you to be a better version of yourself
- They will see the good and the bad in you….focus on the good and fan it like a flame…and address the bad calling you to look it square in the face and not make excuses for it. They call you to deal with it even if that takes years, but they will NOT ignore it. What you ignore comes back to bite you.
- You leave their presence feeling better about yourself, not worse. Sure there are people who are happy to “speak truth,” but if you feel like crap about yourself when you leave they aren’t the people you need. Shame is not ever going to be a good motivator.
- And finally, no one is “fixing” anyone. That’s Jesus’ job. They are just being an excellent example of a human being to you so you can go out and someday do the same for others!
You got this guys! Now, go get your people!
Love you guys! -Teresa